The Health Sciences Library provides current, authoritative information in a timely manner to all hospital staff and patients who request it. The library acquires, preserves, organizes and disseminates a collection in a variety of formats that supports patient care and the research and educational programs of the hospital. The Paterson campus library is located on the fourth floor of the Xavier Building at St. Joseph’s University Medical Center. The Wayne campus library is located on the main level of the hospital behind the Meyer Conference Room.
Library Services include:
- Literature Searches
- Interlibrary Loan
- Reference Services
- Current Awareness
- Computer Access
- The library also houses the Hospital Archives
The library provides support to hospital authors by performing literature searches, and delivering articles to authors. Some recent publications include:
- Agrawal A, Bajaj N, Maroules M. Synovial sarcoma with intracranial metastasis as the site of reoccurrence. American Journal of the Medical Sciences. 2017 Nov; 354(5): 523-526.
- Chowdhury DN, Botros Y, DeBari VA, Baddoura W, Chandran CB. Adenomatous colon polyps in diabetes: Increased prevalence in patients with chronic kidney disease and its association with parathyroid hormone. Annals of Clinical and Laboratory Science. 2016 December; 46(6): 608-615.
- Fakhoury E, Abolghasemi D, McKinney J, Naumova A, Wessner S, Elsawy O, Zuberi J, Madlinger RV. Surgical residents’ interpretation of diagnostic radiologic imaging in the traumatically injured patient. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2018 Jan; 84(1): 146-149.
- Kaushik A, Kest H, Zauk A, DeBari VA, Lamacchia M. Impact of routine methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) surveillance and cohorting on MRSA-related bloodstream infection in neonatal intensive care unit. American Journal of Perinatology. 2015 May; 32(6): 531-536.
- Khaddash I, Hawatmeh A, Altheeb Z, Hamdan A, Shamoon F. An unusual cause of postpartum heart failure. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia. 2017 January-March; 20(1): 102-103.
- Ostroff MD, Moureau NL. Report of modification for peripherally inserted central catheter placement: Subcutaneous needle tunnel for high upper arm placement. Journal of Infusion Nursing. 2017 July/August; 40(4): 232-237.
- Library Staff
- Hours of Operation
The library staff, led by the Director of Library Services, Patricia May, has well over one hundred years of professional experience. The librarians are all masters-trained, and have certifications from the Medical Library Association’s (MLA) Academy of Health Information Professionals. They regularly attend continuing education courses in order to continue to provide cutting-edge services.
Patricia May, MLS, AHIP,
St. Joseph’s University Medical Center Campus Library is staffed during the following hours:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, Thursday - 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
St. Joseph’s Wayne Medical Center Campus Library is staffed during the following hours:
- Monday, Friday - 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The libraries are closed for holidays on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Both campus libraries are accessible to staff 24 hours a day with ID card reader access.