The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency at SJUMC prepares its graduates to practice the full scope of the specialty. Our mission is to:
- Provide intensive training leading to competency, and after additional experience in practice, to proficiency in the core components of oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Provide comprehensive training in the full spectrum of oral and maxillofacial surgery so that program graduates are able to competently practice the full scope of the specialty and are well prepared to enter fellowships if they choose to sub-specialize
- Deliver a didactic program that is multifaceted and that integrates basic and clinical sciences at a level well above pre-doctoral education so that residents are prepared to utilize that knowledge in clinical practice and to succeed on standardized tests including the OMSITE and the written qualifying examination of the ABOMS
- Conduct a program with faculty members who provide mentorship and set appropriate examples for residents in their dedication to patient care, to the specialty and to lifelong learning, community service and teaching
- Ensure that residents are stakeholders in the program by giving them the opportunity to provide feedback anonymously as well as openly and by utilizing the input of current and past residents to help shape and refine the residency program
- Foster an environment conducive to learning and an open exchange of ideas, promoting scholarly activity and a thoughtful approach to clinical and philosophical questions related to the practice of the specialty.