The 7th Annual Research Day at St. Joseph’s University Medical Center (SJUMC) highlighted the research findings of physicians from various specialty areas throughout the hospital. This year, 22 abstracts were submitted for the competition and St. Joseph’s own Robert V. Madlinger, DO, MPH, FACOS, FACS, Maj. US Army Reserves, Director of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care and General Surgery Residency (DO) Program, delivered the keynote address entitled, “The Role of Research in a Trauma Center” Guidelines by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) combined military-civilian trauma training: A research study.
Five finalists were selected by the Research Committee to present their work to the judging panel and audience members. After each finalist’s presentation, audience members and judges had the opportunity to ask questions. The judges’ scoring system determined the overall placing and at the end of the competition the audience used instantaneous audience response technology to vote for their crowd favorite, resulting in the naming of the 2015 Research Idol.
Congratulations to the finalists!
- 1st Place: Derivation and preliminary validation of a risk score to predict 30-day ED revisits for sickle cell pain; Presenter: Jordan Jeong, DO (PGY-4); Authors: Jordan Jeong, DO, Jeffrey Glassberg, MD, Jena Simon, MS, Nilesh Patel, DO, Justin McNamee, DO, Gary Yu, MPH, DrPH; Department of Emergency Medicine
- 2nd Place: Surgical residents’ interpretation of diagnostic radiologic imaging in the traumatically injured patient; Presenter: Daria Abolghasemi, DO (PGY-2); Authors: Elias Fakhoury, DO, Daria Abolghasemi, DO, Scott Wessner, DO, Osama Elsawy, DO, Jamshed Zuberi, MD, Robert Madlinger, DO; Department of General Surgery
- 3rd place: Pregnancy outcome in maternal obesity (bmi > 30), a retrospective study; Presenter: Mohammed Alnakeeb, MD (PGY-3); Authors: Mohammed Alnakeeb, MD, David Principe, MD, Deena Elkafrawi, MS, David Ginsberg, MS, Jacob Miller, MS; Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Runner-up: A novel interdisciplinary approach to reducing preoperative laboratory testing – a step toward the peri-operative surgical home?; Presenter: Bilal Abadi, MD (PGY-3); Authors: Bilal Abadi, MD, Harini Ramireddy, MD, Kevin Hosein, MD, Kevin Petersen, DO, Padmaja Upadya, MD, Hee Chang Paul Sung, MD, Karl Genovese, BA, Nicholas Uva, MPH, CPH, Allarice Linaac, MPH, Ivan Jakimovski, MPH, CPH; Department of Anesthesiology
- Runner-up: Low Molecular Weight Heparin (LMWH) prophylaxis to prevent Sinusoidal Obstructive Syndrome (SOS) in pediatric Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant (HSCT) recipients; Presenter: Zelda Ghersin, MD (PGY-2); Authors: Zelda Ghersin, MD, Lauren Harrison, RN, MSN, Debra Abrams, Harshini Mahanti, Sandra Fabricatore RN, PNP, Liana Klejmont,PharmD, Olga Militano, PharmD, Carmella VandeVen, MS and Mitchell S. Cairo, MD; Departments of Pediatrics
- 2016 Idol: Pregnancy outcome in maternal obesity (bmi > 30), a retrospective study; Presenter: Mohammed Alnakeeb, MD (PGY-3); Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
A special ‘Thank You’ to this year’s judges: David Adinaro, MD, Chief Medical Information Officer, Administration, SJUMC; Michael Lamacchia, MD, Chairman, Pediatrics, SJUMC; Shamoon Fayez, MD, Director Fellowship Program, Medicine, SJUMC; Robert Madlinger, DO, Chief, Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Surgery, SJUMC; Hillel Ephros, MD, Chairman, Dentistry, SJUMC.
Pictured (l to r):
Robert Madlinger, DO, Chief, Trauma and Surgical Critical Care, Surgery, SJUMC; Lindsey Duffy, Administrative Director and Planning and Governance; Kevin Hosein, MD; Harini Ramireddy, MD; Bilal Abadi, MD; Jordan Jeong, DO; Daria Abolghasemi, DO; Mohammed Alnakeeb, MD; Loretta Hall, Manager, The Research Institute, SJUMC; David Adinaro, MD, Chief Medical Information Officer, Administration, SJUMC; Hillel Ephros, MD, Chairman, Dentistry, SJUMC; Jai G. Parekh, MD, Medical Director, The Research Institute, SJUMC; Michael Lamacchia, MD, Chairman, Pediatrics, SJUMC