Rich in history, St. Joseph's Healthcare System has evolved from humble beginnings. In 1867, the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth opened St. Joseph's Hospital on Church Street in Paterson with only 12 beds. Thirty years later, in 1898, St. Joseph's reported treating 1,559 patients and delivering 52 babies and in 1900, 300 operations were performed.
For 100 years from 1900 to 2000, St. Joseph's Healthcare System grew in size and customer service with major building expansion projects and advancements in technology. In 2000, St. Joseph's physicians successfully separated conjoined twins – the first surgery of its type in New Jersey.
St. Joseph's Healthcare System physicians, nurses and health care providers saw over 1.6 million patients last year and have been a part of many exciting health care advances including:
- Clinical collaboration with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital launched using new high definition Telemedicine Suite at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital
- Alfiero and Lucia Palestroni Birth Defects Center at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital dedicated
- Expanded Emergency Department and MRI Suite dedicated
- Outpatient Cardiac Catheterization Unit in Wayne
- First Cervical Disc Replacement in New Jersey