The Neuroscience Institute offers specialists in stroke, brain injury, brain and spine surgery, brain cancer, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and pain management. Our specialty centers and team of experts can provide the care you need to help you regain quality of life.
Concussion Center - All services of The Concussion Center at St. Joseph’s are provided by St. Joseph’s team of Board-certified Pediatric and Adult Neurologists, Psychological and Rehabilitation Specialists and Neurology Nurse Practitioners. In addition to comprehensive assessment and treatment The Concussion Center offers you/your child the ImPACT (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) Program. A sophisticated computer test developed to help clinicians evaluate recovery following concussion, ImPACT is the concussion management program used by all 32 National Football League (NFL) teams, more than 1,000 high schools, and over 300 colleges and universities.
Click HERE to view the Health Tips video on concussion signs and symptoms.
Comprehensive and Primary Stroke Center - St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center has earned disease specific certification in Primary Stroke from Det Norske Veritas (DNV) and has
been designated by the State of New Jersey, Department of Health and Senior Service as a Comprehensive Stroke Center. The stroke program has also been recognized by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's "Get With The Guidelines" Program and has received the Gold Plus Award for quality stroke care.
The multidisciplinary stroke team of Board-certified and fellowship-trained experts includes: Neurologists, Neurosurgeons, Neuro-Interventionalist, Neuro- Radiologists, Interventional Radiologists, Neuro-trained Nurse Practitioners, Neuro-trained Nurses, Psychiatric and Behavioral Specialists, Physical and Speech Therapists, Social Workers and Case Managers.
Additionally, stroke services include:
- Rapid diagnosis and treatment by a specially trained Stroke Code Response Team available 24/7;
- Advanced medical therapies including intravenous TPA;
- Neuro-interventional and Neuro-radiology imaging diagnostic technology – including cerebral angiography and mechanical embolectomy procedures;
- A dedicated Neurology Stroke Unit and a 4-bed Neurology Special Care Unit;
- Specialty Stroke Clinic for outpatient follow-up care;
- Neuro-interventional procedures;
- Rehabilitation including speech, swallowing, occupational and physical therapy; and
- Pharmaceutical treatment options.
If you think that someone may be having a stroke, here are a few things you can do to help evaluate the situation:
Just remember to act F.A.S.T.
Face - Ask the person to smile; Arms - Ask the person to raise both arms; Speech - Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence; Time - If there are any symptoms, note the time!
Epilepsy Center - The EpilepsyCenter at St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center is a NAEC Level 3 Epilepsy Center where care is provide by Board Certified Epileptologists. EEG services are provided in our ABRET registered EEG Lab. The center offers comprehensive diagnostic services which include inpatient and outpatient Routine EEG, Ambulatory EEG and Long Term Video Monitoring.
Neurosurgical and Interventional Center - Our group consists of neurosurgeons holding joint academic appointments in the Department of Neurological Surgery at Columbia University specializing in:
In addition to the above services, the Neurosurgical and Interventional Center provides:
- 24/7 Neurosurgical coverage for Adult and Pediatric patients at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center
- 24/7 Neurosurgical consultation services at St. Joseph's Wayne Hospital
- A 4-bed Neuroscience Step-down Unit at St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center
- A full-time Neurosurgery Advanced Practice Nurse (APN)
Spine Center - Our complex and minimally invasive spine surgery program performs surgical interventiosn not found in most institutions. Innovative procedures, such as the first artificial cervical disc and lumbar disc replacement surgeries, are performed at St. Joseph’s
Neurogenetics and Lysosomal Storage Disease Center - The Center is devoted to staying on the cutting edge of research and treatment providing comprehensive and compassionate care for all of our patients affected by lysosomal and rare neurological diseases. The center provides diagnostic, evaluation, management, and treatment services for patients with known or suspected neurogenetic disorders. This includes:
- Consultation and counseling to patients and their families with known or suspected neurogenetic disorders.
- Input to physicians regarding their patients with neurogenetic disorders.
- Coordination of appropriate testing and management of patients with neurogenetic diseases.
The Center coordinates care of children and adults with these rare and complex disorders, including but not limited to:
- Niemann-Pick disease
- Gaucher disease
- Fabry Disease
- MPSI Type I (also known as Hurler, Hurler-Scheie, or Scheie syndrome)
- MPSII (also known as Hunter syndrome)
- MPSIV (also known as Morquio syndrome)
- MPSVI (also known as Maroteaux-Lamy)
- Pompe disease
- Hereditary spastic paraplegia
- Familial dystonia, paroxysmal dystonia
- Familial ataxias
- Familial Alzheimer's disease
- Charcot Marie Tooth disease
- Wilson's disease
- Mitochondrial encephalomyopathies
- Genetic Epilepsy Syndromes
For more information about The Neuroscience Institute at St. Joseph's, please contact us at 973.754.2000