Caring for close to 130,000 patients in 2011 and expecting near 140,000 in 2012, and utilizing state-of-the-art emergency medicine facilities, St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center's Emergency Department is the busiest in New Jersey, expected to see more than 130,000 patients in 2011.
The Emergency Department at St. Joseph's Wayne Hospital (SJWH) is the primary local care provider for the Wayne, NJ area, processing 30,000 patients per year. SJWH's Emergency Department manages patients with numerous health issues from chronic conditions to the critically ill patient. SJWH's Emergency Department employs over 20 full-time registered nurses, as well as an additional 11 full-time employees serving as unit clerks, patient care associates, transporters, and patient liaisons.
Our experts include 40 Board-certified physicians, over 100 Emergency Department nurses, and additional support staff including APNs and PAs who care for patients regardless of the ability to pay or insurance status.
During our busiest times, we use a physician-assisted triage program where our patients are seen on average within 25 minutes of arrival.
Visit our Operations Page to see how we manage the Busiest Emergency Departments in New Jersey!
Our goal is to continually meet the needs of our patients and several unique features of the St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center's (SJRMC) Emergency Department which help us attain our goal include:
- Resuscitation Center and Therapeutic Cooling Center
- Emergency Cardiology, including emergency bypass and cardiac services
- Comprehensive Stroke Center, SJRMC provides both Primary and Comprehensive stoke management
- In-House Toxicology Consultants
- Psychiatric Emergency Services
- Trauma Services
- Geriatric/Senior-Friendly Services (learn about our 3-year evaluation of geriatric emergency services here)
- Palliative Care and Life Sustaining Management and Alternative (LSMA) Services
- Pediatric Emergency Services
- Physicians Response Vehicle
- Emergency Medicine Academic Programs, including Emergency Medicine Residency Program, EMS & Disaster Fellowship, Ultrasound Fellowship, Administrative
- Award-Winning Research Program
- Emergency Department Medical Scribe Program
- Specialty Consultants Available, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for tertiary care at SJRMC
Community Outreach Programs, including:
ENCARE - Teen program indicating the dangers of driving while under the influence
Take Care - Aging adults program that reviews the dangers within the home, pedestrian safety, and medication safety
Trauma rooo - Programs for children include bicycle helmet safety and anti-bully,
Car Seat Safety Technicians - Check the installation of your baby's car seat.
The five most common diagnoses treated in St. Joseph's Healthcare System's Emergency Department are:
- Chest Pain
- Difficulty Breathing
- Abdominal Pain
- Trauma and Crisis Intervention (in Paterson)
St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center Emergency Department Contact Information::
Mark Rosenberg, DO, Chairman, Emergency Medicine: 973.754.2240
Adult Emergency Department: 973.754.3735
Pediatric Emergency Department: 973.754.2240
Trauma and Surgical Critical Care: 973.754.2490
Emergency Medicine Residency Program: 973.754.2918
Emergency & Trauma Services: 973.754.2242
St. Joseph's Wayne Hospital Emergency Department Contact Information:
Joseph Testa, MD, Chairman, Emergency Medicine: 973.740.0607
Emergency Department: 973.754.2251
Psychiatric Emergency Services Hotline Number: 973.754.2230